Speak Out: Defense: Prison will forcibly medicate Loughner

Posted by lumbrgfktr on Mon, Jun 27, 2011, at 2:22 PM:

Rick,

It is an interesting case. Normally I would side on your side of the issue.

However, I think their are certain instances when rights can be suspended. We already do it for convicted fellons. And avoiding taking medication as a way of avoiding judicial process is also wrong.

In this limited use, I am fine with it.

Replies (19)

• Rick,

And for your sake, I hope you never have to lose a family member to criminal action, only to see justice overted because of refusal to participate in their own defence.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Mon, Jun 27, 2011, at 3:00 PM
  • The politician may not have been lost but six other people were lost.

-- Posted by treegal on Mon, Jun 27, 2011, at 3:08 PM
  • treegal

yes , you are correct ...i forgot..sorry

it seems as though the politician is the only person who counts regarding this shooting...

-- Posted by Rick** on Mon, Jun 27, 2011, at 3:15 PM

What? Where is that comming from?

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Mon, Jun 27, 2011, at 3:40 PM
  • If they medicate him correctly it will only take one time.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Mon, Jun 27, 2011, at 3:43 PM
  • If they medicate him correctly it will only take one time.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Mon, Jun 27, 2011, at 3:43 PM

They will need to send him to Texas, I believe we have exhausted our supply of that particular batch of drugs here in the show me state

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Mon, Jun 27, 2011, at 4:06 PM
  • Let Dick water board him!!!!!

-- Posted by howdydoody on Mon, Jun 27, 2011, at 4:42 PM
  • They forcibly medicate people all the time in mental hospitals

-- Posted by Producer1 on Tue, Jun 28, 2011, at 12:44 PM
  • Evidence is somewhere wrapped in tinfoil

-- Posted by Joe Dirte on Tue, Jun 28, 2011, at 1:39 PM
  • Rick,

The whole world is bi-polar, having a North one a South one.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Tue, Jun 28, 2011, at 2:03 PM
  • wow..i thought insane asylums had been closed and advanced therapy is the current treatment for the incarcerated....

-- Posted by Rick** on Tue, Jun 28, 2011, at 12:54 PM

When an incarcerated person is prescribed a drug by a medical professional it must me administered by whomever is holding said person. If you refuse you are put in solitary, have what rights you have taken away, ie TV, Rec time, etc... if none of these work they will forcibly give you the meds in order to continue "advanced therapy"

-- Posted by Producer1 on Tue, Jun 28, 2011, at 2:52 PM
  • And yes I realize Loughner is not convicted yet...just answering a question

-- Posted by Producer1 on Tue, Jun 28, 2011, at 2:59 PM
  • And whether you are or aren't, and whether I am or am not...neither of us killed 6 people (whether insane at the time, confused, or living as an alter ego)and are trying to claim innocence.

-- Posted by Theorist on Wed, Jun 29, 2011, at 12:14 PM

Did he have his rights as a citizen revoked because he shot and killed some Liberals. I thought it was his right to claim innocence even if wittnessed committing a crime and it was the job of a jury to convict him based on the evidence?

Not defending him, just pointing out what I see as a flaw in your thinking process.

Oh, and yeah I know what you said in your first post.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Wed, Jun 29, 2011, at 12:30 PM
  • Its a balance of rights.

People should not be forced medication. However, the people also have a right to seek legal justice for crimes.

So what happens in situations like this that trials can be avoided becasue he can not part in his own defense?

So, if we focus on the accused rights, he can either loose his rights to due process becasue of a medical condition, or he can loose is right to not be medicated.

I am glad I am not making the decision. But I would like for people to explain why one is better than the other.

For me, due proess is a bigger issue than medication.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Jun 30, 2011, at 11:57 AM
  • Maybe due process is to leave a ladder and a coil of rope in the cell with him. Might solve a whole boatload of problems and a lot of expense to innocent taxpayers.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Thu, Jun 30, 2011, at 1:57 PM
  • -- Posted by Rick** on Thu, Jun 30, 2011, at 4:23 PM

Lynchings were also common. Not sure that system was really better.

-- Posted by lumbrgfktr on Thu, Jun 30, 2011, at 4:28 PM
  • Lynchings were illegal, even then. The system Rick describes is consistent with the reasoning behind 'trial by jury'. The jury was comprised of ones' peers, drawn from the citizenry at large. The judge, as he notes, had the role of keeping the proceedings fair.

It's not fair to say 'There were no lawyers - there usually were. However, they were not a requirement. Methinks lawyers helped draft the current laws in order to keep lawyers in business.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jun 30, 2011, at 4:38 PM
  • Today, in many ways, we deal more with what is legal than what is right or wrong. Legal and right are not necessarily synonyms.

As I stated to the attorney representing my brother's widow, "We have the best justice system money can buy!"

-- Posted by Robert* on Thu, Jun 30, 2011, at 4:50 PM
  • It seems to me there were some 'one lawyer towns', but there have been barristers and lawyers for as long as there have been laws, I reckon. It was Shakespeare, after all, who wrote "The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers".

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jun 30, 2011, at 4:58 PM
  • I say medicate him with Cyanide. We need the space.

-- Posted by We Regret To Inform U on Wed, Jul 13, 2011, at 10:41 AM

Respond to this thread